You all should know now that I like my wonton soup AMPED UP. None of that broth-with-a-wonton-and-one-piece-of-spinach junk.
That being said, this recipe is fairly simple, and it modifies the traditional wonton soup vibe to be more filling. I know that this is against the wonton soup rules, as its meant to be a starter, but unless you’re running an asain restaurant, I don’t think anyone will complain about the additional ingredients.
Of course, it couldn’t be a meal all by itself. Right along side it, or piled up on top of it, I like to eat:
♥ Soft, fluffy white rice
♥ Thin, crunchy seaweed
♥ Firm, beany edamame
♥ Salty, umami-packed soy sauce
You should also know that this recipe is very adaptable for customization: if you like chard and hate spinach, substitute it; if you would rather skip the broccoli, skip it up. If you make some changes, let me know how deliciously your variations all end up!
Vegan Wonton Soup2015-12-24 13:34:36Serves 6Write a reviewPrep Time15 minCook Time30 minTotal Time45 minPrep Time15 minCook Time30 minTotal Time45 minIngredients
- ♥ 10 cups vegetable broth (I LOVE the taste of vegetable better-than-bouillon)
- ♥ 1/3 cup thinly chopped green onion
- ♥ 1 tablespoon minced garlic (about 3 cloves, minced)
- ♥ 3 cups of broccoli florets (about 1 medium crown)
- ♥ 2 cups of thinly sliced zucchini (about 2 small zucchini)
- ♥ 10-15 wontons
- ♥ 3 cups fresh spinachInstructions
- Prepare veggies for soup (mincing, slicing, etc.)
- Heat the vegetable broth on medium-high heat with the green onion and garlic until boiling.
- Add in the broccoli and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the zucchini and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- (From frozen) Plop the wontons in the soup carefully and allow them to simmer for about 5 minutes.
- (From room temperature) Plop the wontons in and allow them to cook for about 3 minutes in the boiling water.
- Stir the spinach in slowly, making sure to be gentle with the wontons, as they are a bit fragile. Cook the entire soup for another 4-5 minutes while stirring lightly.
- Serve hot or warm.enjoying earth http://enjoyingearth.com/
Check out my delicious freezable wonton recipe here.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION.Yields: About 12 cups of soupServes: 6Calories: 144Fat: 7.3 gSaturated Fat: .5 gTrans Fat: 0 gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1.4 gMonounsaturated Fat: 12.3 gCholesterol: 0 mgSodium: 1,376 mgPotassium: 463 mgCarbohydrate: 24 gFiber: 3.8 gSugar: 3.7 gProtein: 7.8 g