Tacos and all taco related meals are pretty dang great. I’m so grateful to be marrying into a Mexican family who loves to cook, because I am a Mexican cuisine lover who loves to eat.
This taco bowl that I threw together began by my doing just that: throwing a few things together. Mitch was out with work buddies, and I had the night to myself, so the obvious choice of how to spend my night came down to watching Netflix and making a recipe for the blog. I already had some rice and black beans in the fridge from the night before, and I had been craving a Mexican meal for a little while, so I decided to look around the pantry for anything else I could add to it. As you can see, I just kind of jumped right in with all of the pieces I saw around, and it came out GREAT.
Even better than how mine came out is how yours is able to come out by customizing it the exact way that you like it and by swapping out some of my favorite Mexican additions for yours!
For this recipe, I just used simple white rice in a rice maker. If you don’t have one of those, I suggest headed over to Kitchn for their step-by-step guide to making rice.
Let me know what you think, and let me know what you add!
- ♥ 2 cups chopped mushrooms (about 15 medium mushrooms)
- ♥ 2 cups finely chopped cauliflower (about 1/2 small head)
- ♥ 2 tablespoons chopped pepitas
- ♥ 2 tablespoons chopped sunflower seeds
- ♥ 2 tablespoons lime juice (or more as needed instead of oil or salt)
- ♥ 2 teaspoons onion powder
- ♥ 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ♥ 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- ♥ 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- ♥ 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- ♥ 3 cups cooked white rice
- ♥ 1 can vegan refried beans (about 2 cups)
- ♥ 1 cup frozen corn
- ♥ 1/2 can black beans, drained (about 3/4 cup)
- ♥ 6-8 corn tortillas
- ♥ 1 cup shredded lettuce
- ♥ 1 fresh tomato, diced
- ♥ Extra lime juice and hot sauce as desired
- Add the mushrooms to a pan over medium-high heat, stirring around with a non-stick spoon or spatula. If they are sticking, add some lime juice to the pan instead of oil.
- Add in the cauliflower, pepitas, sunflower seeds, lime juice, and seasonings, and cook on stove until mushrooms and cauliflower are tender on the inside and browned.
- Prepare rice as necessary. (I left a link in above post to a great rice cooking guide if you don't have a rice cooker)
- Heat refried beans in microwave or on stove.
- Heat black beans and corn.
- Once the taco meat has been cooked, use the pan to cook the tortillas. Cook on each side without oil for about 30-60 seconds, until browned and hardened.
- Assemble the bowls by dividing the taco meat, rice, beans, and corn, and top them with the lettuce, tomato, lime juice, and hot sauce.
- Scoop up with the corn tortillas, or even rip the tortillas into shreds and consume it mixed into the bowl with a spoon.
- Take a photo of your masterpiece and let me know how it was!