Merry Christmas Eve Eve!
My very close friend Allison was over last night, and I haven’t seen her since the beginning of the summer and missed her so so much, but I kept remembering that today was Christmas Eve Eve and she kept reminding me that Christmas Eve Eve isn’t a thing. She was clearly wrong, though, because as soon as I woke up this morning I opened a text from my mom wishing me a very merry Christmas Eve Eve. So take that, Allison.
This is always the busiest week of the year, full of cooking and preparing and shopping in celebration of my birthday and Christmas, and I’m so happy for it because I love staying busy. When I feel like I don’t have anything to do I feel depressed because I feel so full of potential with nothing to use it on. It’s absolute torture. So all this holiday fun makes me feel great.
For example, we just celebrated my birthday on Monday night with a potluck-style dinner at our place and our close friends and family, and I had work that day so I was a wee bit anxious about the outcome for the party, but my mom, my sisters, and Mitch spent the day cooking and cleaning for it, and they prepared everything magnificently! I could hardly believe my eyes when I came in and saw all of the food set out and the floors sparkling. I am so so grateful for all that they did for the day.
The only thing that I prepared the day-of was this yummy spinach artichoke dip. I spent my lunch perfecting the simple recipe, and then my mom popped it in the oven for me, and it was cooled and ready for dipping by the time that I got home. I used all the lamo-vegan substitutes from the store to throw this one together, but I have made it several times with the vegan cream cheese from Healthful Pursuit and it is great. The only modification I make is that I usually either half or leave out the apple cider vinegar.
Try it out for your Christmas parties and let me know what you think!
- ♥ 1/2 yellow onion, chopped finely
- ♥ 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ♥ 2 cups vegan cream cheese (either using two 8 oz. packages from Tofutti or Follow Your Heart, or using the recipe from Healthful Pursuit)
- ♥ 3/4 cup vegan sour cream (I always use Tofutti brand but I'm sure that there is an amazing recipe out there for it)
- ♥ 1/2 cup spinach (about one can), cooked and drained
- ♥ 1/3 cup artichokes, chopped finely
- ♥ 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ♥ 2 tablespoons pimentos
- (Honestly, I have made the recipe without them and it is still irresistible)
- Preheat the oven to 350º.
- Saute the onion and garlic in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat in a tablespoon of oil.
- Once the onion is translucent and the garlic fragrant, take the pan off of the burner and blend in the vegan cream cheese and sour cream.
- Fold in the spinach and artichokes. If using nutritional yeast and pimentos, fold them in now as well.
- Scoop the dip into an oven-safe dish and cook at 350º for about 25 minutes, until the top is browned a bit.
More Enjoying Earth:
- You all should know now that I like my wonton soup AMPED UP. None of that broth-with-a-wonton-and-one-piece-of-spinach junk. That being said, this recipe is fairly simple, and it modifies the traditional wonton soup vibe to be more filling. I know that this is against the wonton soup rules, as its meant…