Firstly, let’s all say thank you to the goddess behind It Doesn’t Taste Like Chicken for creating the vegan mozzarella recipe that inspired this delicious macaroni and cheese sauce. You can find her original recipe here.
You can also find the other recipe that I adapted from her mozzarella recipe: an amazing vegan alfredo sauce.
But enough about the past. Let’s focus on the present: a creamy, thick, full-flavored, cheesy, and vegan macaroni and cheese.
The cheese sauce does not contain any gluten ingredients, and we had ours on rice macaroni because I accidentally bought that instead of the wheat based kind! So we ended up having a gluten free meal too. Woot.
- ♥ 1 cup cashews
- ♥ 2 cups boiling water
- ♥ 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- ♥ 2 tablespoons all-purpose or gluten-free flour
- ♥ 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ♥ 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ♥ 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- ♥ 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- ♥ 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- ♥ 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- ♥ 2 cups macaroni noodles
- Bring cashews to boil, cover and lower heat for 45-60 minutes, as necessary until soft.
- Cook macaroni noodles as instructed by the producer until al dente.
- Pour the two cups of water, the cashews, nutritional yeast, tapioca starch, salt, apple cider vinegar, garlic powder, onion powder, turmeric, and pepper into a high power blender and blend until the mixture is well combined and creamy, without any chunks.
- When the noodles are al dente, drain them and pour them back into their pot, along with the cheese sauce from the blender.
- Mix the macaroni and cheese together. and bring to a boil.
- Serve immediately.
- ♥ You can store the mac and cheese in the fridge for at least three days.