I’m back in my nice safe home, and I had a wonderful time in the Philippines. I came back into town on June 8th, and work began for me the very next day, so honestly I have just been too exhausted to function for the last few days. I have been slowly catching up on my sleep, and I hope to eventually post a guide for traveling to a third world country as a vegan, but I cannot even think straight right now.
For now I will just post a recipe that I developed last night for this vegan broccoli cheddar soup. It is so hearty and delicious, and it is unbelievably healthy as well! With the base being made up of only vegetables and spices, it is a low fat recipe packed with nutrients and minerals. I was inspired to try a low fat cheddar soup by The Glowing Fridge and her “Ultimate Vegan Mac and Cheese” where she uses vegetables and spices as a base for her sauce. So I did some ingredient adjusting and I think I’ve cranked out a pretty fabulous cheesy soup over here.
Try it out and let me know what you think!
Love to all,
- ♥ 6 medium potatoes, chopped into inch squares
- ♥ 4 large carrots, chopped into inch slices
- ♥ 1/2 cup-3/4 cup nutritional yeast
- ♥ 1 tablespoon lemon juice (about 1/2 lemon worth of juice)
- ♥ 2 teaspoons onion powder
- ♥ 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ♥ 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- ♥ Pepper and cayenne pepper to top
- ♥ 3-4 cups chopped frozen broccoli
- Bring water pot to a boil. Meanwhile, chop potatoes and carrots.
- Place potato and carrot slices into the boiling water and turn temperature to medium-low.
- When potatoes and carrots are soft (about twenty minutes), drain through a strainer with a bowl underneath in order to retain the hot water.
- Place the potatoes, carrots, and about 2 cups of the water into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour the blended veggies back into the pot and add in the nutritional yeast, lemon juice, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Mix until well combined and add more to taste preference.
- Add in the broccoli and cook until thawed.
- Serve soup warm and enjoy!
- ♥ If using fresh chopped broccoli, just steam them separately while the potatoes and carrots boil, and add them into the soup at the end.
More Enjoying Earth:
- You all should know now that I like my wonton soup AMPED UP. None of that broth-with-a-wonton-and-one-piece-of-spinach junk. That being said, this recipe is fairly simple, and it modifies the traditional wonton soup vibe to be more filling. I know that this is against the wonton soup rules, as its meant…